Ahoy, Me Hearties ‘n Landlubbers Alike! Do NOT get a DUI
You can enjoy the big party of Gasparilla AND still NOT get a DUI. Take a few minutes now to look at these helpful hints. They will help keep you safe and help you to still have a good time.
First, the cannon fire will start at 11:30 this Saturday January 26, 2019 as the pirate ship, “Jose Gasparilla” begins the annual invasion of City of Tampa. As a result of the pirate invasion, Mayor Buckhorn will hand the key to the city of Tampa to the pirates. Next, the parade will start (around 2:00pm) traveling north on Bayshore Boulevard until it turns right (East) on Brorein Street. Then, it crosses the Hillsborough River into downtown Tampa. Lastly, it turns left (North) on Ashley Drive and ends at Cass Street near 5:30pm. See the route map. This year’s parade includes 103 floats, 5 marching bands and 50 different crews including the infamous Ye Mystic Krewe.
Don’ts – Avast ye, blimey!
- There is zero tolerance for underage alcohol consumption.
- Do not take alcohol (open containers or consumption) outside of designated wet zones.
- No coolers, kegs, or vessels that provide mass distribution of alcohol.
- Always use available event port-o-lets. No public urination or defecation.
- No glass containers of any type.
- Finally, NEVER operate a vehicle if you have been drinking. The police will be on hand to distribute any DUI (Driving Under the Influence) and BUI (Boating Under the Influence). Call 813-222-2220, if you need an attorney.
Dos – Yo-ho-ho!
- Text GASPARILLA to 888-777. Then the City of Tampa will text important event updates, safety tips, and traffic alerts directly to you!
- Drink WATER!
- Live entertainment from 9:00am – 9:00pm (before and after the parade) in Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park Stage (Ashley and Twiggs). It will have Zumba (10:30–Noon), Rumba DJ (Noon–1, 3–5 and 7-8), Fred Lopez (1–3) and Son D Barrio (5:30–7). The MacDill Park Stage (Ashley and Whiting) features acoustic Duo Almost Alice (from 10-3 & 6-8).
- FREE 1st Annual Gasparilla JazzFEST Sunday January 26, 2019 10:00am-4:00pm in Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park. First, hear the scintillating saxtress of smooth jazz, Jeanette Harris and the Soul of flutist Althea Rene from 10-noon. Next, NAJEE will fuse his favorite two genres Jazz and R&B from 12:30-2:30. Finally, local Tampa Bay favorite, Omari Dillard from 3-4.
- Bring Cash – Most charity and event vendors ONLY accept cash.
- Figure out a safe exit plan right now!
- Above all, call Expert BUI / DUI attorney Casey at 813-222-2220!
Safe (and Legal) Exit Plan
There are plenty of ways to get home safe without a DUI.
- Designated Driver – Have one friend drive agree to not drink and drive you home!
- Use Uber, Lyft or taxi – Since Uber is an official sponsor they are offering $20 off with promo code “PirateResponsibly” before 2pm on Saturday. Also an official sponsor, even Captain Morgan wants you to avoid a DUI. Captain Morgan is giving away $20 off with promo code “LIKEACAPTAIN” before noon on Saturday from within 5 miles of the parade to the first 1000 users. Or call your favorite traditional taxi company.
- Ride HART Bus or Streetcar – There are many options. First, park in Ybor City and take the free streetcar to downtown Tampa (service from 8:30am to 2am). Second, use the free, continuous bus service from from station No. 3 (Streetcar Society Station) and station No. 4 (Cadrecha Station) to station No. 10 (Dick Greco Plaza) in downtown Tampa (9:30am to 7am). Third, use the bus from home is cheap! An all-day bus pass is only $4. Passes can be purchased on the bus with exact cash only (no change provided).
- Ask a Friend or Relative – come you up and maybe even drop you off before hand.
- Hire a Party Bus, Limo, or boat – if you ever needed an excuse, this is a great one. You won’t need to find parking. No need to carry a key. And you won’t have to worry about getting arrested for a DUI.