Charged with Driving on a Suspended Driver’s License?
Updated 2017: People who may have criminal traffic charges included driving with a suspended license due to problems with unpaid tickets can get some help.
The Hillsborough County State Attorneys in Tampa, Florida have a new program. It is called the Drive Legal Again Program. The program is known to lawyers, prosecutors, and judges as the “DLAP.” The Assistant State Attorneys in each of the criminal divisions can review and refer cases to the program and this may help people get back on the road. Your Attorney can reach out to the Prosecutor and see if you are eligible for the plan.
For further information please call:
“a full case plan to assist the offender in obtaining a valid driver’s license”
Drive Legal Again Program Hillsborough County Florida Phone Number and Email
What Kind of Traffic cases can be Referred to the DLAP Program?
The DLAP is a diversion program for those drivers who have been arrested or cited for Driving while license suspended or revoked, also known as DWLSR. Other cases may include No Valid Driver’s License.
How Does a Case get Referred to the DLAP Program?
An Assistant State Attorney ASA can offer the option in Court. If eligible, eligible for the program, there are conditions that if met, the criminal case may be dismissed or in fancy legal terms, “nolle prossed.”
What Happens to the Criminal Traffic Charges?
The State Attorney will (dismiss) the charge(s) in this case after time set forth in the DLAP agreement (see sample below) if the Defendant has completed all the terms and conditions of the agreement.
Who is eligible for the Drive Legal Again Program?
For admission into the Program, the driver must have no prior criminal record, other than as stated in the initial application for the program and is not on probation for a prior crime, charge or conviction. The Defendant also agrees to be completely law abiding during the term of the program.
What is Required to Complete the Program and have a Criminal Traffic Case Dismissed?
The Defendant agrees to complete the four hour Driving While license Suspended Educational Class along with any additional conditions stipulated on the court referral. The Defendant agrees to attend school or work regularly at lawful occupation and/or participate in other programs as directed, with the Defendant paying the cost of said programs. The Defendant agrees to inform his/her Traffic Diversion Program Supervisor immediately of any change relating to employment or education.
There is a Program Fee of One Hundred and Fifty ($150.00) payable with-in 15 days from the intake date. There will be Costs of prosecution of Fifty dollars ($50.00) payable within 15 days. Community Service is also required to be completed within three (3) months. Cases that need extra supervision may be charged an additional ($50.00) fee.
Completion of a class and payment of supervision fees is required. The complete details of the program are included in a DLAP contract. A copy of the agreement is below. Most classes and requirements can be completed on weekdays, weekends, and after hours. Usually a case takes three months. The goal is to assist the driver in obtaining a valid driver’s license.
Drive Legal Again Program | DLAP | Sample Contract
Here is a Hillsborough County sample Drive Legal Again Program Contract to help get your license back:
IN THE COUNTY OF THE THIRTENTH JUDICIAL
CIRCUIT IN AND FOR HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FLORIDA
COUNTY CRIMINAL DIVISION
DIVISION: TRAFFIC/COUNTY COURT
STATE OF FLORIDA
VS ________________________ CASE NO:
This AGREEMENT, entered into this day of , 2016, by and between ,the Defendant; Attorney for the Defendant, and MARK A OBER, STATE ATTORNEY, 13TH Judicial Circuit of Florida, By and through his undersigned Assistant.
1 It is agreed that the Defendant meets the criteria and qualification for admission to the Court Options Traffic Diversion Program and Defendant’s Attorney, having fully investigated the case and having fully advised the Defendant’s best interest to enter into this agreement.
2 It is understood and agreed that the Defendant shall participate in the Court Options Traffic Diversion Program for a total period of three to six (3-6) months and shall report in person each month on an assigned date to the Traffic Diversion Program unless otherwise directed by the Traffic Diversion Supervisor. This program includes three to six (3-6) months of active supervision
3 The Defendant, by and’ through his/her Attorney, stipulates and agrees that in consideration for entering into this Agreement, Defendant waives the right to a speedy trial as provided by law.
4 The Defendant stipulates and agrees that he/she will keep the Traffic Diversion Program Supervisor advised of his/her current address throughout the entire Program. The Defendant further stipulates and agrees that the address placed on this contract and/or subsequent address changes presented in writing to the Traffic Diversion Program shall be utilized to provide notice to the Defendant to appear for subsequent court hearings if prosecution is reinstated as discussed in paragraph eight. The Defendant further stipulates that notice sent to the address shall be sufficient notice to the Defendant to appear and that failure to appear after said notice as provided may result in the issuance of a capias for the arrest of the Defendant.
5 The Defendant, and his/her Attorney, warrant that the Defendant meets the eligibility criteria for admission into the Program and has no prior criminal record, other than as stated on the attached statement of prior Criminal/Traffic charges and is not on probation for a prior crime, charge or conviction. Defendant agrees to be completely law abiding during the term of this Agreement.
6. The Defendant agrees to complete the four hour Driving While license Suspended Educational
Class along with any additional conditions stipulated on the court referral.
7. The parties stipulate and agree that the Agreement shall in no way operate as a contract for immunity from prosecution for the charge pending in this case, and, further, should Defendant fail to meet the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the Agreement shall be deemed void at the discretion of the State Attorney, without Notice of Hearing, and prosecution may then be reinstated.
8. The Defendant agrees to attend school or work regularly at lawful occupation and/or participate in other programs as directed, with the Defendant paying the cost of said programs.
9. The Defendant agrees to inform his/her Traffic Diversion Program Supervisor immediately of any change relating to employment or education.
10. The Defendant agrees to do the following, in addition to the above: PROGRAM FEE -One Hundred and Fifty ($150.00) payable with-in 15 days from the intake date. COST OF PROSECUTION -fifty dollars ($50.00) payable within 15 days. COMPLETE ( ) HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE WITH A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION within three (3) months. Cases that need extra supervision will be charged an additional ($50.00) fee.
11. I understand unsuccessful completion of the program includes having all of my fees paid in full.
12. I agree to notify Court Options, County Clerk’s Office and the State Attorney’s Office of any changes in my address or contact information.
13. I understand if I misrepresent my criminal history in any way, my case may be set before the court.
14. I authorize Court Options to release or obtain information related to the above case and court involvement to (a) the courts, including, but not limited to the judge presiding over my case, the state attorney’s office, my defense attorney, and (b) any other party which may need or be able to provide information so that Court Options may provide complete services to me.
15. I understand Court Options may refer me to unaffiliated outside agencies for services I need to complete in order to satisfy requirements set forth for me by the Courts. ‘agree that Court Options shall not be liable for any injury, damage or harm that occurs to me from the use of such services and hereby agree to indemnify, defend and hold Court Options harmless from any and all claims 0 assertions of every kind and nature, related to the use of such services or agencies.
16. I understand that the completion of this program will not automatically result in obtaining a valid driver’s license.
17. The Defendant further agrees that all monies paid into the Traffic Diversion Program shall be forfeited if he/she fails to meet the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
18. If the State discovers that the Defendant has violated any law or any part of this agreement during the period of this agreement then the agreement shall be considered null and void and the State of Florida may recommence prosecution. This includes offenses committed during th period set forth below, but not discovered until that period has ended. The decision whether or not such violations may have occurred will remain in the discretionary judgment of the State Attorney’s Office.
19. MARK A. OBER, STATE ATIORNEY, 13TH Judicial Circuit by and through his undersigned Assistant, hereby warrants and agrees that, should the Defendant meet the terms and conditions of this Agreement as determined by said State Attorney, The State Attorney’s Office agrees to a Nolle Prosequi on the above mentioned case.
20. The State Attorney will (dismiss) the charge(s) in this case after time set forth in thiS agreement if the Defendant has completed all the terms and conditions of this agreement.
21. It is stipulated and agreed that the State Attorney’s decision regarding full compliance in this regard shall be final and shall not be reviewable by any court.
Defendant’s Signature Date
Defendant’s address, City, State and Zip Code Date
Court Options Representative
|Drive Legal Again Program Application Hillsborough County, Florida